22910 Mount Ephraim Rd. Dickerson, MD. 20842
E-mail us: hydrowells@gmail.com
24 Hour Service - 7 Days a Week
Follow us:

If you're like most people, you probably take the water that comes out of your taps for granted. You turn on the faucet, and out it pours. You might not even give it a second thought unless there's something wrong with it – like too much chlorine or not enough pressure.

But have you ever stopped to think about what's actually in your water? There are all sorts of things that can end up in your water supply, and not all of them are safe. That's why it's essential to get your well water tested regularly.

This guide will tell you everything you need to know about getting your well water tested. We'll also give you tips on what to do if the test results are positive for contaminants.

What Causes the Well Water to Contaminate?

There are a few potential causes of well water contamination. One common source is surface water that seeps into the well through cracks in the casing or other openings. This can happen if the well is located in an area with a high water table or recent heavy rainfall.

Another possibility is that contaminated groundwater from a nearby property could leak into your well. This could happen if an improperly installed or maintained septic system or hazardous chemicals are stored on the property.

If you suspect your well water is contaminated, it is important to have it tested by professionals at HydroWells. Only then will you be able to take steps to protect your family from exposure to harmful contaminants.

What Are the Possible Signs of Well Water Contamination?

Watch out for these eight signs.

The Water Has a Strange Taste or Smell

If your water tastes or smells different, avoid using it as much as possible. The contaminants can cause your water to taste bitter, salty, metallic, or like chlorine. If you notice any changes in the taste or smell of your water, get it tested as soon as possible.

The Water is Cloudy or Discolored

If your water is cloudy or has a strange color, this could be another sign that it is contaminated. Sediment in the water, minerals or even bacteria can cause your water to look cloudy or discolored.

There is Sediment in Your Water

If you notice sediment in your water, it might not be fit for use. The sediment could be anything from sand to small pieces of dirt or clay. If you notice sediment in your water, get it tested.

Your Water Has a Musty Smell

If your water has a musty smell, it could be a sign that there are bacteria present. Your well water could be infested with various bacteria such as coliform bacteria, E. coli, or giardia. If you find these bacteria in your body, expect various health issues such as diarrhea, vomiting, and fever.

There are Stains on Your Fixtures or Clothing

If you notice stains on your fixtures or clothing, it could signify that your water is contaminated with iron. This is a common problem in well water, as the iron can leach into the water from the pipes. If your water contains high levels of iron, it must be treated before it is safe to use.

You Have Dry Skin or Itchy Eyes

If you have dry skin or itchy eyes, it could signify that your water is contaminated with chlorine. While small amounts of chlorine are not harmful, too much can cause skin irritation and other problems. If you notice these symptoms, have your water tested for chlorine.

You Have Difficulty Breathing

If you have difficulty breathing or experience tightness in your chest, it could signify that your water contains radon. The chemical is a colorless, odorless gas found in well water. If you are exposed to high levels of radon, it can cause lung cancer. If you notice these symptoms, get your water tested for radon.

You Have Gastrointestinal Issues

Gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea, vomiting, or stomach pain arise due to ingestion of contaminated water. Common contaminants that can cause these issues to include bacteria, viruses, and parasites. If you have gastrointestinal issues, get your water tested for these contaminants.

When Should You Test Your Water?

You should test your water at least once a year. However, you should test it more often if you have reason to believe it might be contaminated. For example, you should test your water after a heavy rainstorm or flood. You should also test your water if you notice any of the above signs.

How Do You Test Your Water?

There are two ways of doing this. The first is to have it tested by a professional. They will know how to collect a sample and use equipment to test it properly. They will also help with well pump replacement.

The second way is to do it yourself. While this is not as accurate, it can still give you a general idea of whether or not your water is contaminated.

If you decide to test your water yourself, the first thing you need to do is collect a sample. This can be done by filling a clean glass jar with water from your tap. Once you have collected the sample, you will need to take it to a lab for testing.

You can also purchase a home water test kit. These kits are designed to test for specific contaminants. While they are not as accurate as a professional test, they can still give you an idea of whether or not your water is contaminated.

Final Word

Well water can be contaminated with various chemicals and pollutants. If you suspect your water is contaminated, have it tested by a professional. You should also test your water at least once a year, even if you don't suspect contamination.